Police were called to the 4000 block of Gold Mine Drive at about 4:15 p.m. in response to a report of shots fired. Family members of the suspect -- who was identified as 42-year-old Jon Christopher Digiulio -- informed police the man was wheelchair-bound and had been in a domestic dispute with his roommate the previous day.
The first officers to arrive at the scene were unable to convince Digiulio to exit the residence.
"The suspect fired additional rounds out of the house at about 5:00 p.m. No officers were injured," a GCPD media release stated. "The SWAT team was activated. SWAT team members were in place at about 6:05 p.m. when the suspect fired additional shots from a window towards officers that were stationed outside. When the suspect reappeared in the window with a gun at about 6:30 p.m., an officer fired a single shot, striking the suspect."
The officer who fired the shot that struck Digiulio, per departmental policy, will be placed on administrative leave. The incident will be investigated by the Deadly Force Investigation Team.
You might also be interested in reading:
- Arrestee: If I Didn't Take It, Someone Else Would Have
- Robbery Note: Don't Scream or I Will Shoot
- Firefighters to Be Issued Body Armor to Wear During 'Violent' Situations
- 50-Year-Old Man Injured When Tree Falls on Vehicle
- Police Blotter: Woman Warns Parents Their Kids Will Grow up to Be Strippers
Follow NGwinnett.com on Facebook, Twitter and Google+.