According to Gwinnett County Police, 13-year-old Justin Shaw was riding his bicycle on Woodstream Drive just after 2 p.m. on June 18. The teen was riding downhill as he approached the stop sign on Woodstream Drive.
"The bicyclist did not stop at the stop sign and entered Club Drive," explained GCPD Public Information Officer Cpl. Ed Ritter.
A 49-year-old Lawrenceville woman was traveling southbound on Club Drive in her Chevrolet Equinox when she saw Shaw enter the intersection. The woman reportedly hit her brakes, but was unable to stop in time to avoid striking the teen.
"The bicyclist was transported by ambulance to Gwinnett Medical Center with life threatening injuries," Ritter said in a released statement. "He was later flown to Egleston Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 6:40 p.m."
The investigation continues, but charges are not anticipated, Ritter added.
Have a comment? Leave a reply below (no registration required).
You might also be interested in reading:
- Woman Attempts to Hide Purse out of Sight, Thief Spots It Anyway
- Marijuana Plant Found Growing in Woods Next to Tables, Chairs
- Bank Robbery Suspect Shot, Officer Injured
- Police Release Photos of Buford Robbery Suspects
- Police Blotter: Robber Tells Store Clerk 'Keep Calm. We Do This All the Time'
- Woman Says Man Exposed Himself to Her at Mall
Follow NGwinnett.com on Facebook, Twitter and Google+.