According to Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services public information officer Capt. Tommy Rutledge, two adult occupants were at the Dejohns Way home when the fire started and were alerted by the sound of glass breaking.
The occupants alerted the neighbors to evacuate and 911 was called.
Firefighters arrived at the scene at 10:42 p.m. -- four minutes after being dispatched. One side of the two-story duplex was heavily involved by that time.
The fire was brought under control at 11:07 p.m.
The fire caused heavy damage inside the unit where the fire started and sent smoke into the adjoining unit.
Two adults in the heavily damaged unit were displaced. Two adults and two children in the adjoining unit were also displaced due to smoke and the fact power and gas were cut to the building as a result of the fire. None requested Red Cross assistance.
You might also be interested in reading:
- Child Dies From Injuries After Being Struck by Vehicle in Buford
- Buford Home Heavily Damaged by Fire While Owner out of Town
- Armed Robbers Enter Dacula Home, Demand Drugs
- Police: Burglary Suspect Confessed, Implicated Others
- Victim: Robber Bore a 'Striking Resemblance to Danny Devito'
- Child's Screams Prompt Helicopter, K-9 Search in Dacula Subdivision