Fire investigators have determined a June 9 fire in Lawrenceville was accidental and likely caused by improperly discarded smoking materials.
Firefighters were dispatched to the Margo Trail home at 2:13 p.m. on Monday. Upon arrival, crews found heavy fire showing from the basement and main level of the home.
"Flames were already shooting through the roof over the right-side of the house as firefighters deployed attack hose lines," said Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services public information officer Capt. Tommy Rutledge in a released statement.
Firefighters accessed the home, which is situated approximately 1,500 feet off the roadway in a heavily-wooded area, by a dirt road.
"Fire apparatus close to the structure was limited to one attack pumper due to the distance and extended hose lay from the hydrant," Rutledge explained. "Additional fire crews had to walk-in on foot to assist with battling the blaze."
The home was under renovation at the time of the fire and was not occupied. The homeowner was reportedly working to prepare the home as a potential rental property and had left the residence 30 minutes before the fire started.
"The cause of the fire appears accidental and may have been sparked by discarded paint and oil rags in a plastic bucket," Rutledge said. "The homeowner was reportedly using floor cleaning compounds in the basement."
No one was injured in the blaze.
You might also be interested in reading:
Follow NGwinnett.com on Facebook, Twitter and Google+.
Northern Gwinnett County news including the cities of Dacula, Ga. and Buford, Ga.