There are several variations of the scam, the most common of which involves telling an unsuspecting citizen he or she has an outstanding debt of some sort and that there will be consequences if payment is not made immediately with a Green Dot card or similar prepaid debit card.
The scammers, according to officials, are using a computer program to make the victim's call ID display as if the call does actually originate from a police department.
GCPD reminds citizens the department will never ask for payment of any sort over the phone.
Have a comment? Leave a reply below (no registration required).
You might also be interested in reading:
- Phone Use During X-Men Movie Leads to Purse-Swinging Altercation
- Woman Arrested After Repeatedly Exposing Her Breasts to Police
- Wheelchair-Bound Man Injured After Reportedly Firing at Police
- Arrestee: If I Didn't Take It, Someone Else Would Have
- Robbery Note: Don't Scream or I Will Shoot
- Police Blotter: Woman Warns Parents Their Kids Will Grow up to Be Strippers
Follow NGwinnett.com on Facebook, Twitter and Google+.