The calendar tells us spring is just around the corner. And with spring, comes Spring Break for high school and college students.
Georgia has had an unusually cold winter this year so students most certainly will be heading for a warmer climate and Spring Break is just the time to go.
But before planning any trips, understand that con artists know that unsuspecting students could be easy targets and will take full advantage of that fact! Don’t let your Spring Break turn into a life lesson because you didn’t research and plan properly.
1. Book through a reliable travel agent. Check the agency’s report at bbb.org. or find a BBB Accredited Business. Accredited Businesses must adhere to the BBB’s 8 standards of trust, including advertise honestly, be transparent, and honor promises.
2. Get details about your trip in writing. Be sure to confirm the details, such as total cost, any restrictions that apply, flights, hotel reservations, and car rental.
3. Use a credit card as payment. Paying by credit card offers the most protection should something to wrong.
4. Consider purchasing travel insurance. Travel insurance provides coverage for particular perils which are specific conditions under which it will pay claims. Be sure to shop around and read the terms and conditions before purchasing.
5. Use caution when considering deals. If a deal or package offers a lot for a very low price, be wary. If something seems too good to be true, it usually is.
6. Be wary of claims you “won” a trip. Generally if you’ve truly won something, it will be given to you as a gift. Be especially cautious if the offer is unsolicited. Check out any offers with the Better Business Bureau.
And even though you're going to have fun, please keep safety first on your mind. Make a list that contains your bank and credit card company's telephone numbers so you can call if they are lost. Check in with your parents or another trusted source just to ensure them that you're okay. Even at your age be aware of "Stranger Danger." Stay in groups and never travel alone.